Intellectual Property Law, Commercial, Contract, Employment, Infrastructure, International, Patent, Information Technology, Resource Industry (including oil/gas and solar), Real Property, Technology, Telecommunications, Trademark
Principal and Attorney, Arbitrator and Mediator, Michaelson & Associates 1984-present, and General Counsel (virtual), Direct Grid Technologies LLC, Edgewood, New York Oct 2010-present; Associate Attorney, Pennie & Edmonds 1982-84; Corporate Patent Attorney (Member of Legal and Patent Staff), Bell Telephone Laboratories 1979-82; Electronics Development Engineer, Rockwell International Corporation 1977-79 and Aluminum Co. of America (Alcoa) 1976-77; Electronics Project Engineer, Control Systems Research, Inc. 1975-76.
- Conducted intellectual property and unfair competition litigation in the U.S. courts, and inter parte and ex-parte proceedings in the USPTO involving patents and trademarks.
- Counsel in patent infringement cases involving electronic and computer-related technology.
- Prepared patent and trademark validity and infringement opinions.
- Experienced in patent and trademark licensing.
- Counseled in intellectual property, antitrust and unfair competition law.
- Prepared and prosecuted many patent applications, both U. S. and foreign involving, e.g., complex electronic, communications and computer-related technology, and mechanical technology.
- Served as Court-appointed expert in patent law in various litigations.
Peter Michaelson arbitrated over 500 domestic and international disputes primarily: IP, IT, telecom, infrastructure, energy (oil/gas, solar), and technology-related disputes, and secondarily other commercial disputes. He handled domestic and international arbitrations under UNCITRAL, LCIA, WIPO, CPR and AAA/ICDR rules.
These arbitrations included, e.g., (a) a US contract dispute, involving an alleged breach of confidentiality, concerning a demand side, energy load management system with damages claimed of US $ 107 million (was sole arbitrator); (b) a US patent dispute involving a genetically-engineered pharmaceutical drug then having cumulative sales of approximately US $4 Billion; (was panel chair) and (c) a bilateral investment treaty (BIT) telecom infrastructure dispute with approximately US $ 150 Million in dispute and involving a foreign government as a party (was co-arbitrator).
Peter Michaelson has handled arbitrations on both an ad hoc and administered basis with amounts in contention reaching as much as US $400 800 Million. Continue to serve as chair, sole arbitrator and co-arbitrator.
Mr. Michaelson mediated over 200 domestic and international disputes, including an international patent dispute concerning mechanical and electronic aeronautical technologies with approximately US $600 Million in dispute.
Rendered approximately 200 domain name arbitration decisions (20 reported by BNA, Washington DC in US Patents Quarterly (USPQ)).
Training (extensive) – principal: ICDR International Symposia in Adv. Case Management Issues, 2/2009; Advanced Mediator Training, CPR, 10/2004; Advanced Mediator Skills, Mediation and Training Alternatives in association with CEDR/London, 05/04; AAA Arbitrator II-Adv. Case Management, 10/02; AAA Arbitrator 1-Fundamentals of the Arbitration Process, 12/01; 6th Annual Int’l Summer School, Mediator Skills Training, CEDR/London, 8-9/01; Harvard Law School Program of Instruction for Lawyers: The Lawyer as Negotiator, 6/99, Adv. Mediation, 11/97, and Mediation, 6/96, and Program on Negotiation: negotiation workshops 6/93; WIPO – Workshop for Arbitrators 11/96 and Mediation of Intellectual Property Disputes training, 5/95.
Professional and Other Activities
- Chair – New York Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Fellow and Chartered Arbitrator, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators (US)
- Fellow, Australian Center for International Commercial Arbitration
Peter Michaelson conducted seminars, served as speaker and provided numerous presentations concerning various aspects of IP law and IP-related ADR to various legal groups, and organizations; and authored articles on various aspects of arbitration, IP-related ADR and IP Law.
Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rated attorney with Peer Review Rating of 5.0 of 5 (“Preeminent”)
AvvoRating 10.0 out of 10 (“Superb”)
New York University School of Law, LL. M., (Trade Regulation), 1985
Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, J.D., 1979 (Senior Staff Member — Duquesne Law Review)
Carnegie-Mellon University (CMU), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, M.S., Electrical Engineering, 1975
Electrical Engineering & Economics, CMU, B.S., 1974