Domain names, trademarks, patents, copyrights, industrial designs, trade secrets, workplace disputes, commercial disputes
Richard Levy has negotiated settlements for clients in many disputes involving domain names, trademarks, patents, industrial designs, copyrights and trade secrets in Canada and the United States.
Richard has successfully mediated commercial disputes in many fields, including between landlords + tenants, insurers + contractors, executive searchers + employers, home buyers + sellers (over latent defects), interior designers + clients, and equipment suppliers + restaurants. Many of these mediations were conducted in French.
With respect to disputes in the workplace, Richard has acted as Mediator and Informal Conflict Manager in disputes between colleagues and between employees and their supervisors. He has also acted as a Coach to only one of the parties in a multi-party dispute.
He has written many articles, and given many presentations, in person and by webinar, on various aspects of IP law, technology, and mediation. He is the past Chair of the ADR Committee of IPIC (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada)
Richard received his training as a Mediator by taking courses given by Pepperdine University, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, and given by the Quebec Bar.
I have represented clients in several UDRP and CDRP (CIRA) arbitrations over many years.
Professional and Other Activities
Member of ADRIC (the ADR Institute of Canada), IMAQ (Institut de Médiation et Arbitrage du Canada), and IPIC (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada)
• July 2017 – Know Your Mediator or Prepare to be Surprised
• November 2016 – Complex Multi-Party Mediations – A Different Kind Of Animal!
• July 2016 – The Inside Scoop (on mediation)
• February 2016 – Using One Neutral for Mediation-Arbitration: Wondrous Hybrid or Frankenstein Monster?
• November 2015 – When Mediation Makes All the Difference
• February 2013 – How a mediator saved the 2012-2013 NHL season.
• October 2012 – « Thinking Fast and Slow » a book on decision-making which illuminates mediation
• February 2012 – How a mediator uses questions
• September 2011 – When is the best time in a dispute to undertake a mediation?
• 1980 – Common Law Equivalency Certificate, Law Society of Alberta
• 1975 – LL.L., University of Ottawa, Civil Law Section
• 1972 – B.A., McGill University