Intellectual Property Law, Commercial Law, Construction Dispute Law, Contract Law, Corporate Law, International Law, Labour Law, Real Estate Law, Treaty Land Entitlement Claims
Currently, Mr. Effler is employed with the Province of Manitoba. Previously, as a lawyer in private practice, Mr. Effler practiced commercial/corporate, franchise and international contract law.
He is a Past President and national director of the ADR Institute of Canada, Inc., formerly known as the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Canada and the Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution.
Barry Effler is a Past Chair, National ADR section Canadian Bar Association.
His past business experience includes serving as Chief Operating Officer of two corporate groups in the security industry and franchising business and as Executive Vice President of a software developer.
- He is a Chartered Arbitrator designated by the ADR Institute of Canada in 1996, a lecturer in arbitration law, contract, real estate and evidence law, and instructed the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Manitoba arbitration training program for over 10 years
- Mr. Effler has conducted arbitrations in a wide range of areas since 1996
- Appointed as a Chartered Arbitrator (Fellow) by the ADR Institute of Canada in 2008
- He is practicing commercial and labour mediator and was approved by the Law Society of Saskatchewan to practise as mediator in 1992/li>
- Barry Effler is a past Member of Training Advisory Group for Mediation Services of Manitoba- organised training and training standards for volunteer mediators in court annexed victim offender mediation and community dispute mediation.
Professional and Other Activities
Among Mr. Effler’s activities with the ADR Institute of Canada, he was:
- Past Chair, National Arbitration Rules drafting committee
- Past Chair, National Commercial Mediation Rules revision committee
- Drafted the General Operating By-law and the Discipline Procedures By-law
- Committee Member, National Chartered Mediator designation standards
- Committee Member, National Chartered Mediator designation accreditation
Areas of competence include:
- Conducting arbitrations and mediations
- Neutral fact finding
Bachelor of Laws, (LL.B.), 1983
Master of Laws, (LL.M.), 2011