Intellectual Property Law, Commercial Law, Corporate Law, Competition Law, Contract Law, Entertainment Law, Find Arts Law, Performing Arts Law, Information Technology Law, International Law, Online Dispute Resolution Law, Partnership Disputes, Sale of Goods Law, Technology Law, Trademark Law
Duarte Henriques is a lawyer and arbitrator based in Lisbon – Portugal. Since 1990, he has acted as both counsel and arbitrator in a number of litigation and arbitration cases related to investment disputes, banking & finance, corporate, commercial, distribution and construction disputes. Duarte Henriques has a strong experience in advising and securing “third-party funding” for clients.
Duarte Henriques advises major banking and finance institutions, insurance companies, companies in the energy sector, bio-pharmaceutical companies, and technology / software solution providers in litigation and arbitration disputes.
Duarte Henriques has also a solid experience in the transactional practice. He regularly advises clients in matters related to corporate law, mergers and acquisitions / joint ventures, construction, commercial law (including distribution, franchising, and licensing), labour law, procurement, and real estate (see list of relevant matters attached).
He is ranked as Thought Leader in Arbitration by Who’s Who Legal and recommended by “WWL” Arbitration 2019 as a “go-to lawyer in Portugal, standing out for his extensive knowledge of commercial and investment treaty disputes.”
- 2013 – (present) – Member of the Portuguese Panel of Arbitrators of the International Film and Television Alliance
- 2013 – (present) – Arbitrator at “Arbitrare – Arbitration Centre” (Lisbon, Portugal): ARBITRARE is a Portuguese Institutionalized arbitration Centre, legally able to resolve disputes over industrial property (trademarks and patents), “.PT” Domain names, trade names and corporate names as well as compulsory arbitration to resolve disputes over generic drugs (www.arbitrare.pt).
- 1990 – (present) – Lawyer
- 1988 – 1990 – Trainee and Lawyer at Jardim, Sampaio, Magalhães e Silva e Associados
- Lawyer, Arbitrator and Legal consultant, with vast experience on Litigation and Arbitration, IT Law, IP Law, Copyright Law, Corporate Law, Commercial Law and Civil Law.
- As lawyer has experience with major Portuguese IT / IP companies, insurance companies and others, dealing with corporate and commercial law, IT / IP law, litigation and arbitration.
- As arbitrator and lawyer at arbitration procedures has experience with domestic and international arbitration on Copyright Law, IP Law, Contracts Law and Corporate Law, both institutionalized and ad hoc
Professional and Other Activities
Member of the following Arbitral Institutions:
- Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Centre
- International Distribution Institute
- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) – Panel of Arbitrators for Intellectual Property Disputes
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (Reserve Panel of Arbitrators)
- Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration
- Permanent Arbitration Court at the Croatian Chamber of Economy
- WIPO List of Arbitrators
- Vancouver International Arbitration Centre
- Arbitral Tribunal of the International Film and Television Alliance (IFTA)
- Arbitrare Arbitration Centre for trademarks, patents, .pt domain names, corporate names, generic drugs (Lisbon, Portugal).
Advanced PIDA Training – International Commercial Arbitration – ICC Paris (Oct. 2013)
Advanced Training PIDA – Advanced Training in International Commercial Arbitration – ICC Paris 2013
Advanced Practice Seminar – Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) – Como, Italy 2014
Advanced Practice Seminar – Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) – Badenweiler, Germany, 2015
Advanced Practice Seminar – Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) – Frankfurt, Germany, 2018
Graduate in International Trade Law (Contracts and International Arbitration) – 2004-2005
Graduate in Accounting, Financial Analysis and Business Assessment at “Universidade Nova de Lisboa” – 1998
Law degree at Faculty of Law of University of Lisbon, 1988