Cross-border Dispute Resolution; International Commercial Law; International Sales Law; Intellectual Property Law; and Private International Law
Gustavo Moser has worked for nearly two decades with matters pertaining to cross-border dispute resolution mechanisms, international commercial law, international sales law, intellectual property law, and private international law. In particular, he has experience as counsel, expert, and academic with respect to intellectual property disputes, including in relation to copyright, trade mark, domain names and patent arbitration and mediation.
At WIPO Arbitration Mediation Center, Gustavo oversaw and managed 450+ gTLD and ccTLD domain name disputes, at which time he was also responsible for case assignment and supervision of 10+ multinational case managers.
Gustavo is a lawyer qualified in civil law and common law jurisdictions (Brazil, Portugal, and England and Wales). He has served as panellist in 30+ domain name disputes, and has also a developing practice as an arbitrator and legal expert.
He has managed many hundreds of arbitrations, mediations and expert determinations in his capacity as legal counsel at the LCIA and as a legal officer at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Arbitration and Mediation Center. His experience spans across a broad variety of industry sectors, jurisdictions, and legal areas, including in connection with domain name disputes and intellectual property matters more generally.
Gustavo has particular expertise in the legal management of international commercial contracts, most notably conducting legal risk assessments and developing dispute resolution strategies.
Professional and Other Activities
- WIPO Advanced Mediation and Arbitration Workshop – Geneva, Switzerland
- Georgetown University Law CLE Diploma in “Analyzing Common Law Contracts”
- Certificat de Français Juridique (CFJ) – Paris, France
Gustavo has published extensively and he is frequently invited to speak, moderate and chair conferences, symposia and workshops globally.
Full list of 50+ publications available at <gustavomoser.com>.
- International Sale of Goods (Portuguese). São Paulo: Almedina, 2022.
- Negotiating International Commercial Contracts: Practical Exercises. The Hague: Eleven International Publishing, 2020.
- Rethinking Choice of Law in Cross-Border Sales. The Hague: Eleven International Publishing, 2018.
- Commentary of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods 1980 (Portuguese). São Paulo: Atlas, 2015.
- Arbitration and Mediation of Intellectual Property, Sports and Entertainment Disputes (Portuguese). Curitiba: Appris, 2014.
- International Sale of Goods –The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods 1980 (Portuguese). São Paulo: Atlas, 2011.
- Human Arbitrators (the Undisputed Champion) v Robots (the Challenger), Hong Kong Law Journal, Vol. 50, Part 1, 2020, pp. 215-242.
- Inside contracting parties’ minds: the decision-making processes in cross-border sales, Journal of International Dispute Settlement, Vol. 8, Issue 2, 2017, pp. 250-279.
- Arbitration and Choice of Law in Cross-Border Transactions: a Potential Interplay?, ASA Bulletin, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2016, pp. 95-111.
- Parties’ Preferences in International Sales Contracts: An Empirical Analysis of the Choice of Law, Uniform Law Review, Vol. 20, Issue 1, 2015, pp. 19- 55.
- Ph.D in International Commercial Law, University of Basel, Switzerland
- LL.M in International Commercial Law and Business Law, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Bachelor of Law (LL.B), Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil